Welcome traveller

This blog is very much written for my benefit. I've previously tried writing a blog, but I got bored as I had nothing particularly interesting to say. In this blog I will be mostly documenting my progress when it comes to astrophotography. There are many resources on the web for astrophotography, but crucial and useful details are often overlooked. This is a my astro-journal.

20 February 2012

Astro image processing with Virtualdub

Yesterday, Sunday 19th February, I recorded a few .avi files of Jupiter.  One can process the .avi directly, but sometimes it helps to split the .avi into a series of jpegs for greater control over the frames used for stacking.

I will post about last night's observations at some point, but this post deals with the Virtualdub processing.

Virtualdub is a free video processing utility and can split a single .avi into a series of jpegs.

1) Open Virtualdub and open the video capture .avi
2) Export .avi as image sequence

3) Select export settings and hit 'OK'.  Note that the file extension should be .jpg rather than .jpeg for Registax to notice.













4) Go to the directory location of the images and do as you wish with them.

No comments: