Welcome traveller

This blog is very much written for my benefit. I've previously tried writing a blog, but I got bored as I had nothing particularly interesting to say. In this blog I will be mostly documenting my progress when it comes to astrophotography. There are many resources on the web for astrophotography, but crucial and useful details are often overlooked. This is a my astro-journal.

17 February 2012

Jupiter - a first crack

For my first post I thought I’d have a crack at Jupiter. I might put together a better tutorial on Registax 6 at some point, but here’s a first go to test the format of posting a "journal" of my steps.

I used my Orion webcam at the prime focus of my telescope – at some point I might cover the tips and hints to get a good focus /alignment and all that jazz.  The webcam captured the image of Jupiter over a period of about 3(ish) minutes or approximately 1800 frames.  The details of the capture are given below:
Resolution=800x600
Frame Rate (fps)=10.00
Colour Space / Compression=RGB24
Exposure=13
Brightness=31
Contrast=136
Hue=139
Saturation=129
Sharpness=119
Gamma=67 

Below is an example of an 'untreated' Jupiter frame:

I then used Avidemux (I think) to convert the captured video file in .avi format to a series of jpegs – I’ll cover the capture and up-front processing another day.
In Registax 6, I used the following settings:
Align: 
Alignment parameters: Min distance 5: min distance from edge 20            
Intensity: 3x3 area; low 5; high 230 – 27 alignment points (APS) used.
Best frames: 1000
Stack:
Normalisation of frame intensity
Correct geometry
Stretch histogram after stacking
Wavelet:
Use interlinked wavelets
Parameters below:

The final image of Jupiter, with brightness levels tweaked in Gimp - will also cover this someday.

An improvement? - yeah, I think so but plenty more tweaking and learning to be done.

UPDATE: Used the same data and played around a little more with the Wavelets and number of frames.  Key difference in the below image is that I only used 1000 frames to begin with to avoid planet rotation screwing up the detail.

No comments: